There’s a perception that e-cigarettes are harmless. And while vaping is less harmful than smoking regular cigarettes, these products don’t come without risks. E-cigarettes are fairly new and we’re still learning about their long-term effects. Some of the science is clear, and some of it is emerging over time.
Here is a non-exclusive sample of some of the health risks of vaping:
- Nicotine poisoning and toxicity with consequences on multiple body organs.
- Exposure to atomized metals (e.g., nickel, tin and aluminum).
- Exposure to vaping flavors
- Exposure to deleterious second hand vapor by others.
- “Popcorn lungs” due to inhalation of diacetyl – a chemical used for its buttery flavor in vaping chemicals.
- Physical injuries resulting from potential explosion and/or fire due to device or battery malfunction.
- Dependence and addiction especially in young children.
Learn more here and here about the health risks of vaping.
Mystery vaping illness linked to sixth death
© 2019. Datelinehealth Africa Inc. All rights reserved