FEATURED HEALTH TOPICS
EAR, NOSE AND THROAT: Acute sinusitis: Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Prevention and Treatment
INFECTIOUS DISEASES: Cholera in the African setting
SEXUAL HEALTH: How to prevent sexually transmitted infections (STIs)
ALLERGIES: Allergies on the rise in Africa
MENTAL HEALTH: Symptoms of major depression
SMOKING: The health risks of vaping
DOCTOR-PATIENT RELATIONSHIP: Patients may have consulted Google first before seeing their doctor
HEALTH & LIFESTYLE - AFRICA
Consumer Health Videos & Podcasts: Watch. Learn. Live better
DISEASES AND CONDITIONS
Latest Health News Africa
Top Africa Disaster and Disease Outbreak News
Know of a confirmed or suspected disaster or disease outbreak in your area?Submit a report
Latest International Health News
LATEST EDITORIAL AND OP-ED
Personalities: NIMR DG fetes research directors promoted professors
Conferences and Exhibitions: Ghana Pharma Expo holds March 25 - 27, 2020
Pharma Industry: Purdue offers up to $12b to settle opioid claims
Hospitals and Clinics: Local entrepreneur creates medication dispensing system
Health Research News and Publications - Global
VIDEOS AND PODCASTS FOR HEALTH PROFESSIONALS
CONTINUING EDUCATION RESOURCES
- Cochrane Library*The Cochrane Library is a key resource in evidence-based medicine. At its core is a collection of systematic reviews and meta-analyses, summarizing and interpreting the results of medical research.
- Google scholarGoogle Scholar is a free web search engine that indexes the full text or metadata of mostly peer- reviewed scholarly literature across an array of publishing formats and disciplines.
- NHS EvidenceNHS Evidence search provides access to selected and authoritative evidence in health, social care and public health.
- Open Science Directory Open Science Directory is a search tool for open access journals and journals in special programs for developing countries.
- Ovid* Ovid searches a wide array of database that help the scientific and healthcare communities transform information into knowledge.
- Popline Popline is a reproductive health database containing citations with abstracts to scientific articles, reports, books and unpublished reports in the field of population, family planning, and reproductive health.
- Pubmed PubMed is a free search engine that contains over 25 million records and searches several databases – including interfacing with MEDLINE and other publications by the USA National Library of Medicine (NLM), such as MedlinePlus.
- Scielo Scielo is a bibliographic database, digital library and cooperative electronic publishing model of open access journals targeted at meeting the scientific communication needs of developing countries.
- Trip Trip Database is a clinical search engine that allows users to quickly and easily find and use high-quality research evidence to support their practice and/or care. It also allows clinicians to search across other content types including images, videos, patient information leaflets, educational courses and news.
Scholarly Search Engines & Database
- Elsevier CME*Elsevier CME is accredited by the US-based Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) as a provider of continuing medical education.
- eMedicinehealth*eMedicinehealth is an online professional level clinical medical knowledge base that is both updated and accessed continuously. It assists broadly in patient-centered clinical care and physician education.
- Medscape Education*Medscape Education is free registration website providing access to medical information for clinicians. It also provides self-directed continuing education resources for physicians and health professionals.
- Open Source Slideshows Open Source Slideshows This is a free-to-access collection of peer-reviewed and regularly updated learning resources developed by accomplished academics in various fields of medicine, nursing, pharmacy and pharmaceutical sciences.
- Supercourse: Epidemiology, The Internet and Global Health SuperCourse is a repository of lectures and research methods materials on global health and other areas of science designed to improve the teaching of prevention and increase number of scientific publications. It has a network of about 2 million scientists in 174 countries who are sharing for free a library of more than 203,000 lectures in 33 languages.
- DermpediaDermpedia is an online place sharing dermatology and dermatopathology knowledge and experience.
- PathpediaPathpedia is a comprehensive web-based resource on human anatomical, clinical, and experimental pathology.The site serves audiences including pathologists, pathologists-in-training, laboratory professionals, clinicians, medical scientists, and medical students. The site can also be useful to general public who want to learn about human pathology and medical laboratory tests.
- RadiopediaRadiopaedia is a wiki-based online international collaborative radiology educational resource. It contains the web’s largest collection of radiology images, reference articles and patient cases.
- African Journals Online (AJOL)*African Journals Online (AJOL) is a South African non-profit organization dedicated to improving online visibility of and access to the published scholarly research of African-based academics.
- BMJ OpenBMJ Open is an online, open access journal, dedicated to publishing medical research from all disciplines and therapeutic areas.
- Nature Medicine* Nature publishes free to access newest peer reviewed academic research, reviews and analysis,news and comments across a wide range of scientific fields including medicine.
- New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM) New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM) provides six months delayed free online access to its research articles after publication, and maintains that access dating back to 1990. The delay does not apply to readers from the least developed countries, for whom the content is available at no charge for personal use. Other offerings include podcasts, Continuing Medical Education, Videos in Clinical Medicine (showing videos of medical procedures), etc.
- The BMJ & The BMJ is a weekly peer-reviewed medical journal publishing high impact original medical research articles, clinical reviews, unique case reports, recent medical advances, editorial perspectives, etc. BMJ Journals*The BMJ Journals contains 3 million articles from more than 60 peer-reviewed journals.
- The Lancet* The Lancet is a weekly peer-reviewed general medical journal. It publishes original research articles, review articles, editorials, book reviews, correspondence, as well as news features and case reports.